Welcome! I am glad you have found me, and I hope we can work together both to create the change you want to see in your life, and to facilitate healing by offering support, acceptance, care, and expression to all the aspects of who you are.
I create an atmosphere of non-judgment, warmth, and safety, and believe that compassionate attention is necessary for healing. I am passionate about the life of the emotions and encouraging the wisdom of the body and subconscious to facilitate freedom from limiting beliefs and patterns.
I am originally from Berkeley, CA, and have cultivated a commitment to social justice and diversity, inspired by my upbringing there (I also served as a TA for multicultural and diversity courses throughout graduate school). I am also inspired by the sacred, spiritual, and existential aspects of life, have taught meditation and yoga, studied Gestalt Process during my year and a half working at at Esalen Institute (Big Sur, CA), and majored in Comparative Religion as an undergraduate (Vassar College, N.Y.).
I draw on several somatic modalities to inform my offerings, including practices from: Hakomi, Sensorimotor Processing, Gestalt, Integrative Body Psychotherapy, Core Energetics, and Focusing. I also incorporate aspects of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. I integrate mindfulness, which is a common thread through all of these modalities. My approach to couples’ therapy draws on Crucible® Therapy developed by Dr. David Schnarch, as well as Integrative Body Psychotherapy developed by Jack Rosenberg & Beverly Kitaen-Morse.
- I am a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Oregon.
- I have an M.A. in Somatic Counseling Psychology, Emphasis in Body Psychotherapy from Naropa University in Boulder, CO
- I have a B.A. in Comparative Religion from Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY
- I am a trained yoga teacher through Yandara Yoga Institute in Baja, Mexico
I have worked as a therapist at several community mental health & addiction recovery organizations, seeing a range of diverse clients, both children and adults, as well as families and couples. I have taught Creative Arts & Body-Mindfulness groups (incorporating art therapy, somatic regulation, and meditation) for over a year. I have also worked in a private practice model non profit organization, seeing individuals and couples.
Professional Training Focus Areas:
- Self-Regulation & Intimacy (Integrative Body Psychotherapy)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Pre & Perinatal Psychology
- Sensorimotor Processing
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills
- Core Energetics
- Gestalt Awareness Practice
Related Professional Experience:
- Yoga and meditation/mindfulness teacher (Rhinebeck, NY; Big Sur, CA; Vancouver, WA)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Multiculturalism & Diversity Undergraduate Courses at Naropa University (Boulder, Co)
- Workshop Presenter of “Cultivating Your Joy While Changing the World” at Omega Institute (Rhinebeck, NY)
I hang a Medicine Buddha in my office as a symbol and support for healing and insight into both our suffering and our healing. While I am not a Buddhist, I draw on Buddhist practices, including mindfulness and compassion practices, to inform my work. I welcome all spiritual and religious traditions in my clients, including atheist and agnostic, and work with you within your own worldview.
- I have lived and worked at several retreat centers including Omega Institute (NY), Esalen Institute (CA), Hollyhock Retreat Center (Canada), Earthdance (MA), Sivananda Ashram (CA & India), Land of Medicine Buddha (CA), & Breitenbush Hotsprings (OR)
- 10-Day Vipassana Silent Meditation Retreat & several meditation and karma yoga work retreats throughout the U.S. and India
- Yoga Teacher Training (Baja, Mexico)
- Author & Spoken Word Poet: Self-published 4 poetry chapbooks and book on travels in India; performed poetry for workshop and concert audiences of 100+ people and featured as a poet in cafes across the US; author of a poetry blog: What Inspires a Poem?
- Choreographer & Dancer: Naropa University Somatic Arts Concert & Vassar Repertory Dance Theater